This program is a component regarding the (Res)MA History Programme. It’s not available for BA pupils.
This Research Seminar targets the archives associated with VOC or Dutch East Asia business. It partly functions as a practical, more particular counterpart of this Literature Seminar. It relates to a few of the basic archival dilemmas talked about here, but details them when you look at the context of the seventeenth- and 18th-century Dutch-Asian enterprise that is commercial. As the VOC records formally comprised company management, in training additionally they functioned as a huge repository of valuable and key home elevators all kinds of activities in early-modern Asia.
The many staying VOC archives are comprised of several different kinds or even «genres» of documents, including maps. Further, they partly overlap with materials that fall beyond your confines of those collections, but are closely associated with them, such as for example private documents, missionary records, travel records, as well as pieces of art. These diverse materials were produced with various purposes, consist and organised in various methods, and information that is present various perspecitives.
This seminar considers and compares all of these sources from both an archival and a historiographical standpoint. It searches for similarities and differences when considering, in the one hand, the VOC archives and, having said that, archives of contemporaneous Dutch organizations and of other European trading that is overseas. Students who cannot(old that is read Dutch may assist such other European documents, for instance those associated with the English East Asia business.
The pupil has obtained:
- 1 The power to individually determine and choose literary works, making use of conventional and techniques that are modern
- 2 The capacity to independently recognize and choose sources, utilizing conventional and contemporary practices;
- 3 The capability to analyse and assess a corpus of sources by having a view to handling a certain historic problem;
- 4 the capability to analyse and assess literary works having a view to addressing a specific historic issue;
- 5 the capacity to separately formulate an obvious and well-argued research concern, taking into consideration the concept and way of the industry and also to reduce this concern to available and workable sub-questions;
- 6 the capacity to individually create and execute a initial scientific study that will make a share to existing scholarly debates;
- 7 the capacity to offer an obvious and well-founded dental and written report on research outcomes in correct English, whenever needed, or Dutch, fulfilling the requirements for the control;
- 8 the capacity to be involved in present debates within the specialisation;
- 9 the capability to offer feedback that is constructive and formulate criticism of this work of other people together with power to assess the worth of these critique and feedback on one’s very own work and merge it;
- 10 (ResMA just): The capacity to take part in a conversation associated with the theoretical fundamentals associated with the control.
Learning objectives, with respect to the specialisation
- 11 Thorough knowledge and comprehension of just one of the specialisations or subspecialisations along with for the historiography for the specialisation, concentrating specially regarding the after; into the specialisation Archival Studies: archiving in a colonial context; understanding of the importance of archiving procedures for the manner in which a culture relates to its paperwork heritage as a whole as well as its historical practice in specific; disclosure, including electronic disclosure, of archives within the wider history sector.
- 12 Thorough knowledge and comprehension regarding the theoretical, conceptual and methodological areas of the specialisation or subspecialisation at issue, with a specific give attention to the immediate following: when you look at the specialisation Archival Studies: theoretical fundamentals of archivistics; assessment and choice of archives.
Learning objectives, with respect to this extensive Research Seminar
- 13 Thorough knowledge of the organization associated with VOC archives and exactly how it comes even close to the organisation of closely associated materials (personal documents, missionary records, etc.), to archives of contemporaneous Dutch institutions and also to documents of other European https://eliteessaywriters.com/blog/argumentative-essay-topics overseas trading businesses.
- 14 Thorough comprehension of exactly just how these different principles that are organisational regarding the goals and audiences of these materials while the kind and tone of data they have.
- 15 the capacity to analyse and compare archives created in a early-modern context that is dutch-non-Western.
- 16 (ResMA only): the capability to put up and execute research that is original raises brand brand new concerns, pioneers brand brand new apporaches and/or points to new guidelines for future research.